There are two types of arthritis: osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis is a common chronic condition where the material that cushions the cartilage breaks down, causing the bones to rub against each other.
This can occur due to a number of factors, including:
- Any earlier joint injury
- Overuse of the joints
- Weak muscles
- Family genes
This disease usually affects the neck, thumb, small finger joint, ankle, and big toe, not to mention any part of the vertebrae. The pain makes walking or climbing stairs difficult. Sleep and other regular activities are also affected.
- Sore, stiff, or swollen joints (hip, knee, lower back)
- Joint pain that worsens after performing any activity
Rheumatoid arthritis, on the other hand, is an autoimmune disease that occurs when your immune system attacks the joints by mistake. The major symptoms are:
- Joint pain followed by fatigue
- Swollen and reddish joints
- Stiffness of the joints, particularly in the morning
At Genesis Medical Clinic, we do what it takes to relieve your pain. Our aim is to get you back to work in the shortest possible time. After diagnosing your arthritis, we'll develop the best course of treatment for you. Treatment options include:
- Joint injections
- Topical creams
- Massage therapy
- Deep tissue manipulation
This extremely painful disease can be avoided by:
- Staying physically fit through exercise (to loosen and strengthen the muscles and increase blood flow)
- Maintaining a healthy body weight (excess weight means excess burden on your joints)
- Quitting smoking and cutting back on alcohol consumption (both affect connective tissues)
- Changing your position frequently to avoid putting pressure on the affected joints
Visit our clinic at 9780 N. 56th Street today!